[GRASS-dev] what's going on in r39326

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 04:37:18 EDT 2009

Hello all,
If I understand correctly, the patch is attempting to solve two separate
issues:

1) When starting GRASS by double-clicking on the grass64.sh icon, the user
doesn't get a terminal window in which to enter GRASS commands.

2) GRASS doesn't exit properly because the Init.sh runs in the background
waiting for user input that never arrives.

Point (1) seems to me just an issue of user preference. I would be wary of
anything that assumes the user is wrong, or the user doesn't know what
they want, which this fix seems to do. Perhaps they only want the GUI and
don't want a terminal window to pop up?

Regarding point (2), why not just launch the GUI in the foreground instead
of the background? When it exits, control will be returned to Init.sh
which can then clean up and exit. The check for whether there is no
terminal attached could be used to force GUI rather than text mode.

What do you think?

Paul