[GRASS-dev] what's going on in r39326

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 08:00:57 EDT 2009

I think we have to acknowledge, though, that GRASS development
can get quite frustrating at this point. And think what we can do to
improve  the situation. If a dedicated developer turns away
from GRASS because it's no fun anymore, then we all lose.

There are many aspects to GRASS development right now, maybe too many
for a single developer to keep track of. A while ago, there was a
posting on this mailing list asking whether it would be possible to
separate the wxPython and GUI development out into an individual project.
Maybe that would be a start?

Getting back to the functional aspects, I would be in favour of
implementing behaviour like Paul suggested a moment ago:

"Regarding point (2), why not just launch the GUI in the foreground
instead of the background? When it exits, control will be returned
to Init.sh which can then clean up and exit. The check for whether
there is no terminal attached could be used to force GUI rather than
text mode."

Ben

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> PS. Now I understand why GRASS has issues. Such huge discussion for
>> small change and no serious feedback for large and serious changes as
>> per r39323 :(
>
> Look: only on request you explained the change which can break
> things five minutes before the final release. That's the "problem".
> Of course it applies to all developers that review is needed and
> should not end in a flame war.
> Discussion is *not* an issue. It's called peer review instead.
>
> Let's keep calm... :)
>
> Markus

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES