[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 blocker bugs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 02:35:35 EDT 2010

Glynn wrote:
> Not worth the effort. AFAIK, fixing the current issue would
> require modifying either the polygon-filling code or the
> horizontal case of the line-drawing code, so that the two
> match. Even then, there's a limit to what you can do when
> code typically tries to draw lines exactly along the boundary
> between pixels and you're using integer coordinates.

I left it as critical because IMO it is worth (mine, if no one
else's) effort- for 6.x the suggested way to export graphics
for presentations or the web* is d.out.file (PNG driver
frontend). And currently that means slivers and misaligned
polygons. Perhaps I am more "detail oriented" than other people,
but to me this really sticks out is a real embarassment that
"we can't even get that right". So currently to do this task
I wrote a little shell script using xwd|xwdtopnm to take a
screenshot of the Xmonitor, which is fine for me and for things
smaller than the biggest monitor I can find.

[*] (or for reports if you don't mind uglified rasterized plots
and ps.map doesn't do it for you)

If this was not the primary means of exporting visual images
from GRASS I wouldn't be concerned. If I ever find the time
I'll work on it, if not I guess it languishes.

Hamish