[GRASS-dev] About v.distance, v.what.vect (wrt "count points within...").

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:51:00 EDT 2010

Start from scratch:

I've put a new module in grass-addons, called v.vect.stats. It counts
points in polygons, fairly fast, but, as the name implies, can do a
bit more. Optionally, it calculates statistics for areas based on the
attributes of all points falling into an area. Currently supported
methods are sum, average, median, mode, min, min_cat, max, max_cat,
range, stddev, variance, diversity. The meaning of min_cat and max_cat
is the category value corresponding to the observed minimum/maximum
value, e.g. the hospital with the largest number of beds and not the
largest number of beds.

The module is meant as the companion to v.rast.stats, update area
attributes from raster: v.vect.stats, update area attributes from
vector

Have fun,

Markus M

PS: No entry on wiki because I am not sure what will happen with the
module. If it's regarded nonsense, it will be removed again. OTOH, it
might end up in trunk.