[GRASS-dev] 6.4.0 blocker bugs

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 12 12:39:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

[... thanks for the long summary which explains it perfectly...]

> IOW: the swig directory can be removed without affecting any other
> part of GRASS, including the vdigit/nviz modules. The configure checks
> relating to SWIG (i.e. --with-python) and the requirement for the swig
> program relate to the vdigit and (6.4) nviz modules. lib/python/ctypes
> is only required for the ctypes-based nviz module in 6.4/7.0, or if we
> want to offer the ctypes-based bindings for use by add-ons.
>
> So, there's no need to delay 6.4.0 for ctypes. We can add it in 6.4.1,
> or even make a separate package which works with 6.4.0 (so long as we
> don't change the API, we would just need to ensure that grass.py
> contains the correct definition for GIS_H_VERSION so that G_gisinit()
> works).
>
> But if we release 6.4.0 with the swig directory in place, we'll still
> be getting questions about it (that we probably won't be able to
> answer) in ten years time.

Given Glynn's suggestion I redraw my suggestion to add ctypes now.
We'll do that for 6.4.1.

Can anyone remove swig/ in the 6.4-release branch? I am also on the
road these days with sporadic internet access. Then we can release
6.4.0 next week.

thanks
Markus