[GRASS-dev] G65/7 ctypes compilation problem on Enterprise Linux

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 18 21:35:27 EDT 2010

Helena Mitasova wrote:

> this is the same problem here - the problem is with python2.4 that is used as default
> and that does not include ctypes so you need to make symlink in grass to make sure
> it looks for python2.6 (which I have also installed) or there may be some other solution -
> You cannot remove python2.4 because it is used for system management.
> I did not have time to get it fully resolved yet.

ctypes can be added as a third-party module in Python 2.3 and 2.4 (it
doesn't work on versions prior to 2.3, and it's part of the standard
library in 2.5 onwards).

	http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctypes/1.0.2

Note: it requires libffi.

However, installing Python >= 2.5 is likely to be easier, and will
also help if there are other compatibility issues (I don't know how
much testing gets done with 2.4 nowadays).