[GRASS-dev] r.watershed failing: seg fault and exit code 35584

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 25 04:50:25 EDT 2010

Chris Carleton wrote:
> Okay thanks. I was using a 'trial-and-error' method for determining the
> threshold, but I think I ought to start large and proceed toward smaller
> values. I haven't come across any analytical method for determining the best
> threshold value for stream extraction.

There are conceptually different approaches to determine a reasonable
threshold. One would be to use the DEM only and estimate what
threshold provides a reasonable stream network. Obviously you can get
vastly different stream networks from a 1m LiDAR DEM and a 90m SRTM
DEM. Such an approach gives an answer to what is possible with the
DEM, which does not necessarily match reality (most of the time I
guess it does not match reality). A different approach would be to
look at rainfall patterns, soil infiltration rates etc, and decide
whether you are interested in ephemeral, intermediate or permanent
streams. For permanent streams, a decision must be made whether you
want to get all, also very small permanent streams, or only major
streams.

Markus M

Some smart person needs to develop a