[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Set language in Linux

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 3 17:02:52 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I'm getting an error, that before I was getting:
> > GRASS 6.4.0svn (North-Carolina):~ >
> > (process:4282): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> > (process:4282): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
> > Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> > But it works at least for wxpython translations. Grassmods no.
> > Regarding .UTF-8 and without .UTF-8, it was the same. I thought that this
> > error had something to do wuth UTF-8 but no.
> The problem will be the mixture of encodings:

No it won't. GNU msgfmt always uses UTF-8 in the .mo files, and
converts to the locale's encoding automatically (so that you don't
need separate .mo files for e.g. LANG=es and LANG=es.UTF-8).

> grasslibs_es.po:"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1\n"
> grassmods_es.po:"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1\n"
> grasstcl_es.po:"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
> grasswxpy_es.po:"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
> @dev: To which encoding should we consolidate this mix?

This doesn't have any effect upon the resulting .mo file, but it
ensures that the files don't contain any characters outside of the
Latin-1 repertoire. This may be significant as we get more Windows
users, as Microsoft tries quite hard to ensure that data gets infected
with Windows-specific extensions.

It also ensures that the file remains editable on as many systems as
possible. Supporting arbitrary unibyte encodings is almost as
straightforward as supporting ASCII; supporting multi-byte encodings
or wide characters is somewhat harder (more work and more platform