re [GRASS-dev] g.proj -p - units is : meters or metres ?

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 06:47:16 EST 2010

Hi Glynn,

apologize the private mail, i can see your answer on the list archive, but no reply is sent to my mail box (mybe some problems with the mailng list :-/)

### ### ###
Massimo Di Stefano wrote:

> i've old scripts that i'm using to parse the "g.proj" output
>
> in it i have units == meters
>
> but form recent svn 6.5 version i can see it use :   metres
>
> GRASS 6.5.svn (spearfish60):~/wxpython/data_catalog > g.proj -p

> -PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------
> unit       : metre
> units      : metres
> meters     : 1
>

> is it a typo, or need i to modify my scripts to use :    metre / metres ?

g.proj outputs whatever is in the PROJ_UNITS file. The textual
description of the unit can be whatever the user chooses it to be, or
in the case of "g.proj -c", whatever is obtained from the source
specified by georef=. GRASS itself only the unit/units fields for
display to the user; calculations use the numeric value in the meters
field.

What do your scripts use the "unit" or "units" field for?
### ### ###

I'm working on a script to send data from grass to ossimplanet,
it is :

http://svn.osgeo.org/ossim/trunk/gsoc/OssimPlanetSasha/r.planet.py

there is a "projinfo()" function i'm using it to retrieve if the location use degrees or projected coordinates
what i need is to extract the "center of the map" and use it in the  "zoom to" action.

if the location is in degrees i use :

setCLL(map)
location ..
while if projected (meters) i use :

setCPRJ(map)

in the example i used the spearfish dataset.
but as you pint me ... the ceck on the "units" string .. is not a good idea :-(
beacouse the "units value"  is "user - dependent"
and maybe someone that did a typo error defining the location will go in an error during the script execution.

regards,

Massimo