[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r40881 - in grass/trunk: gui/wxpython/nviz gui/wxpython/vdigit lib/gis visualization/wximgview

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Feb 11 07:56:15 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Glynn:
>> > FWIW, popen.c should now be entirely unused in 6.5,
>> > and may as well be removed.
> Markus:
>> I have done so to reduce the (file) noise.
>
> mmmph, we have no idea what functions people depend on in their
> personal modules. We don't guarantee API compatibility, but
> still it is not very nice to dump long serving functions in the
> final part of a version's life ...

Could G_popen() be made a wrapper to popen()?
(if it doesn't work on Windows, it is useful only to a fraction of
operating systems).

I have searched around in GDAL and QGIS for the presence of G_popen()
but did not find anything (except for complaints of non-portability). Checked
also koders.com.

Markus