[GRASS-dev] MODIS import in GRASS6.4

Franz Schiller franzschiller1975 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:38:51 EST 2010

I have been using MODIS datasets in MRT tool and MATLAB but Now I want to
import MODIS projected datasets to GRASS .

At http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS is described methods to do this. But I
have a few (quick) questions. Thanks for your help

 Question 1: can those methods be applied using a GRASS Script? (I believe
so)

Question 2: in method 1 (http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS#Method_1), It’s
said to create a Project/mapset with EPSG 3266. Why that system? And Why if
gdal_translate will create geotiff in EPSG4326?

Question 3: Regarding a_ullr. This flag asks for Upperleft and lowerright.
This means that those values are the same for all files. But in the case
that they may vary. How can I obtain them from MODIS Metadata/header? And
this would mean that the we are dealing with a regular dataset because in a
Geostationary dataset this wouldn’t be possible (I guess).

Question 4: What is the –co flag? I read Gdal_translate description but I
didn’t find it very clear..

Question 5: As far as I can see, Geotiff format is used as an intermediate
format in order to import data to GRASS. Why is it chosen?

Question 6: Since GDAL does not automatically georeference HDF4 images, is
there a list of the formats that GDAL automatically georreference?

Question 7: if we define a_ullr, this means that GCP points are not being
used right?

Regarding method 2, that is based on GRASS6.5, will this be implemented for
grass 6.4? (the –i flag)

Thank you

See ya

Franz