[GRASS-dev] Suggestion: wxGUI as default in G6.4

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Feb 26 10:04:38 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> ... as the subject indicate: any objections to change to wxGUI as default?

I am still MUCH in favour of this change.

>> Make this change from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 isn't much policy compliant.
>> And I would like to avoid to publish a 6.5 rather than focusing on 7...
>
> My main concern is that there should be some way to prevent the GUI
> from loading the vdigit and nviz modules.

I agree. Is that hard to accomplish?

My brute-force method is (in GRASS):

rm -rf $GISBASE/etc/wxpython/nviz $GISBASE/etc/wxpython/vdigit

then 'g.gui wxpython' works.

> AFAIK, it handles the case where these modules don't exist. But if
> they do exist and there's something wrong with them (binary
> compatibility issues), the whole GUI is toast.

... which is unacceptable and currently the case on my laptop.
So a functionality test (or whatever) before loading  the vdigit and
nviz modules would be needed. Since the tcl versions of both are
accessible, I don't see it as showstopper to have the wxGUI as
default GUI *if the test was added* and wxnviz and wxvdigit fail.

Markus