[GRASS-dev] GRASS Imagery

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 15 05:37:40 EDT 2010

Hamish wrote:

> excellent do see the imagery modules getting some attention.
>
> fyi spend some time exploring i.vpoints too, besides the mouse-only dual-
> window method there is some nice stuff hiding in there there like reverse
> projecting vector overlays from the target Location, 1st, 2nd, 3rd order
> fit info, etc.

One thing at a time:-) I concentrated on the graphical interface
first, iv.points functionality will come later. There is already 1st,
2nd, 3rd order fit info.

> i.points is more the simple to use version with limited options, i.vpoints
> more the advanced + whistles and bells version.
>
> also there are a couple auto-train variants from GRASS 5 addons (maybe on
> old website not wiki addons) but Markus N could probably explain those
> better than me. Perhaps there are some good ideas/workflow designs in there
> which might be useful.

Maybe redesign i.points and i.linespoints to run without monitors,
have them available through the toolbar to auto-generate control
points?

> one long-term wish is to be able to use the arrow keys to nudge the cross-
> hairs mouse cursor by 1 pixel.

You can zoom in very far and then set control points with sub-pixel
(here pixel = raster cell, not screen pixel) accuracy. Not good
enough?

> tip o'the day:
>  Many modern UNIX distros ship with really bubblegum fuzzy antialiased 5
> pixel-wide mouse cursors which are no good for precise work such as georef.
> Here is how to get X11 back to the classic non-bloated engineering-
> style ones (so usable 1 pixel-wide cross-hair cursor when the exactitude
> of a draftsman is needed):

The wxGUI cross cursor in combination with a high zoom looks ok to me.
Still needs improvement?

Markus M