[GRASS-dev] r.in.pdf

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 11:10:20 EDT 2010

Mohammed wrote:
>  I have a map in pdf format. i want to import the map in grass. reading
> pdf map is available in ArcGIS. so I thought of developing and
> contributing a module to GRASS GIS (r.in.pdf) to read maps in pdf formats
> directly.I dont know where to start.

maybe use the very nice "pdftk" program to extract the single page you
want from the document, and then extract the inner PostScript from within
the PDF wrapper. Then use graphics tools as others have suggested, or
ps -> vector format directly for non-raster.

> will anyone please provide me any information or links related to
> importing raster maps into grass gis.how a map is processed when we
> perform r.in.* module on the map?. How files are like cellhd,fcell etc
> are created in GRASS?

use r.in.gdal or one of the existing r.in.* low-level modules to do that.
there's not much need or point to (re)doing it yourself.

good luck,
Hamish