[GRASS-dev] Which GRASS version to develop against?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 04:43:00 EDT 2010

David wrote:
> I am about to start working on a GRASS tool to model runoff quality
> using SWMM as an engine, as part of my Master's degree. My question is
> which version of GRASS to build it on?  It would make sense for me to
> use 7.0, but if it is still likely to be in development when I finish
> (probably about a year from now) then perhaps I should use 6.4.

Anything headed for publication should use a released version, as among
other things, you have to ensure reproducible results and a moving target
doesn't supply that.

I can not predict the future, but I would not be surprised if 7.0.0 is
still not released one year from now.

My advice would be to use 6.4 for your current work, then next year once
you finish your degree think about porting it to 7. And if it is of
general use take advantage of using the grass addons SVN as a home for
developing it. If you must have some new feature from the devel version(s),
backport it locally into your stable installation, or use the devel
version for that one task then get back out.

regards,
Hamish