[GRASS-dev] color tables

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:09:49 EDT 2010

I am just going through some old emails and I am wondering whether there
was a reason why the images illustrating the pre-defined color tables
generated by Hamish and available on wiki

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Raster_color_tables

could not be included directly into the man page
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grasscontrib/r.colors.html
or is this just an unfinished thread.

I don't get complaints about it any more but it may be useful for newcomers.

Also, when using histogram equalized color table the legend is
generated with equal intervals which often ends up being just one color
for most of the legend - would it be difficult to generate the legend
with histogram equalized values? Maybe a task to add to GSoC GRASS cartographic
output project?

Helena

On Aug 26, 2009, at 9:22 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 2:22 AM, Hamish wrote:
>
>> Helena wrote:
>>> I often get a question why there aren't images of color tables
>>> in GRASS GUI along with their names. Is this technically feasible?
>>> Or it is already there and I just don't see it?
>>
>> I don't think it's there.
>>
>>> I am thinking about adding them to the r.colors man page, but first I
>>
>> IMhO these sorts of things should go in the wiki, not the man page.
>> Anything but simple PNG figures add a huge amount to the bulk of the
>> SVN and .tar.gz release sizes.
>
> I had in mind something that is on hand directly from the GUI -
> best would be in the drop-down menu which currently lists the color tables by name,
> but if that is not supported by the wxpython, man page would do as well because it
> is accessible from the command's gui.
> The images are tiny, they take very little space - I had in mind something like this
> (I should have put it into the Description section, but you get the idea)
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grasscontrib/r.colors.html
> this just uses your rescaled png images.
>
> Same would be handy for the point symbols - they are pretty difficult to find on wiki
> if you don't know where they are. If this cannot go into the man page, adding
> a link to the wiki page on man page would certainly help.
>>
>>> would like to ask whether somebody has done this already (or has a
>>> script to do it).
>>> I was thinking about running something like this through all color
>>> tables
>>>
>>> set GRASS_WIDTH=50 and GRASS_HEIGHT=100
>>> r.colors elev co=ryg
>>> d.colortable elev