[GRASS-dev] v.out.ogr in GRASS 6.4.1 -- speed

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 10:08:53 EST 2010

Dear all,

Since we are on the subject of updating v.out.ogr for
GRASS 6.4.1: Could I take the opportunity and ask if
there has any progress been made on the speed of
writing the attribute table data? I am currently exporting
a large (ca. 1.4 million features) vector map to a
shapefile and the DBF writing has been going on for an
hour now.

I have not really kept any track of the most recent
developments. But if I remember right than the main
factor was the design of the for () looping construct
in the C source code. Apparently, each step through the
loop required far more accesses to the data structure
than it ideally should.

If this is still an open issue, then how about we have
a little brain-storming issue and try to get this fixed
for GRASS 6.4.1? Or is it all more complicated than I
imagine?

Best,

Ben

------