[GRASS-dev] CLI!=GUI

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Nov 27 00:51:02 EST 2010

Il 21/11/2010 21:36, Michael Barton ha scritto:

> Like Martin said, because GRASS is modular, anyone can compile it or use it with
> or without the GUI. I use it heavily with the GUI for some things. For others, I
> use it completely scripted, without any GUI, and called from a completely
> different environment. This kind of flexibility is a real value for this piece of
> software.

AFAIK this is not true: compiling (better: packaging - believe it or not, not
*anyone* is capable of compiling) without the GUI requires changes in the source code.
Sorry to insist, I realize my position is not popular among GRASS devs, but there is
a number of situations where having a pure CLI package would bring great advantages.
E.g., does anybody want to install libwxgtk2.8-0 on a server, where GRASS can be used
for WPS?
Please, help us poor users: separate the two packages, and we'll all be happier. I do
not think it's a major work, and packagers can probably give a hand.
All the best.