[GRASS-dev] CLI!=GUI

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Sat Nov 27 06:04:24 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:43:02AM +0100, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/11/27 Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:
> > On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> >> E.g., does anybody want to install libwxgtk2.8-0 on a server, where GRASS can be used
> >> for WPS?
> >
> > Likely not, but --without-wxwidgets should help.
>
> it will just disable wxGUI digitizer (wxNviz has been rewritten to python).
>
> We could add new flag --without-gui which would disable compiling (and
> installing selected components).
>
> martin

That would be the very first step, indeed. Of course IMHO a full solution would
imply also:

- having a componentized GUI which could be added to the core without rebuilding
  the whole beast (possibly componentizing 2d/3d would be also a good idea).
- decoupling gui/core releases: my impression is that the core could evolve much
  fastly than the gui. That's based on counting the current number of GUI related bugs
  in comparison with core ones.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine