[GRASS-dev] CLI!=GUI

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 06:33:08 EST 2010

Glynn ha scritto:
> > If the only available packages (RPM, .deb, etc) insist
> > upon installing GUI libraries, complain to the people who
> > make the packages.

Paolo:
> OK, so, now I'm complaining ;) : packagers, please have
> your saying here.

disk space is very cheap. package maintaining time is not. IMHO
unused libraries & a couple extra packages do no real harm &
where it does matter (embedded systems) the user will probably
want to custom build from source anyway. I do not much like the
idea of making the packaging scripts any more complicated than
absolutely needed. I do not much like the idea of e.g. the grass
debian package merely recommending the GUI be installed as well,
even if it is technically possible not to require it.

> The rationale is: decoupling CLI and GUI will make the release
> cycle smoother

I humbly suggest that in practice it will only complicate things
and add unneeded burden to the release manager(s).
>From a code point of view they are decoupled already.

best,
Hamish