[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] r.univar.zonal not installing

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 04:31:18 EDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
>> for 6.5svn I would vote to add .zonal as another module if
>> you like, but do not replace r.univar.
>
> well, actually the diff is not so huge to make code auditing that
> much of a problem, but it would need to be well tested.

You helped yourself with development and testing of r.univar.zonal,
and I assume that a number of users managed to get it up and running
by installing it without g.extension. Otto Dassau developed
v.rast.stats2 using r.univar.zonal, and v.rast.stats2 is more than n
categories times faster than the current v.rast.stats, e.g. for 1000
categories that could be 10 minutes vs. 7 days. IOW, it looks like
r.univar.zonal has been used and tested quite a bit in the last nearly
2 (!) years. About k.i.s.s., it's true that r.univar.zonal is a bit
more complex than r.univar, but I guess over 90% of the code are
identical, the crucial stuff is just indented one more level for the
zoning loop. IMHO k.i.s.s. also means that code duplication should be
avoided.

Markus M