[GRASS-dev] wxGUI in GRASS 6.4.1

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 03:06:03 EDT 2010

Martin wrote:
> wxGUI in GRASS 6.5 is mostly in sync with GRASS 7.0. In
> opposite wxGUI in GRASS 6.4.0 has been frozen due to long
> RC stage for one year and more. I am starting to think to
> backport wxGUI from GRASS 6.5 to 6.4.1. What do you think
> about that? It will bring new GUI features to 6.4.1 and make
> live easier when backporting bug-fixes.

For my 2c, I don't object to backporting it (I sort of expected
we would do GUI updates in the 6.4.x line) but again I'll mention
that 'File->Quit GRASS completely' has never worked properly for
me and I'm a but dubious about if we should even offer that
feature anyway. We'll have to figure out another way to deconfuse
the WinGrass GUI-only experience.

Backporting means
- throwing away that year of testing and restarting the testing
cycle. (not completely of course, but not without risk either)
- bad luck for anyone who already started on writing courseware,
tutorials, or books for GRASS 6.4. Since we are so soon after
original release we may get away without too much damage on that.
I am not so worried about backwards compatibility otherwise, as
GUI changes will not harm user scripts and the C/Python APIs.

but I think the new features are worth it, and 6.4.1 is shaping
up to be a lot less stable than 6.4.0 anyway due to all the new
features. (but a lot better for it too :)

cheers,
Hamish