[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2011

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:35:23 EDT 2011

Hi all,

2011/4/3 Anna Kratochvílová <KratochAnna at seznam.cz>:

> my name is Anna Kratochvilova and I'm a student of FCE CTU in Prague. I would like to take part in Google Summer of Code with a project focused on wxNviz GUI [1]. Presently I'm developing GUI for ps.map within my bachelors project [2] and my mentor Martin Landa suggested me to aim the GSoC project at completion of wxNviz's missing functionality. I would like to inform you this way of my GSoC proposal [3].

right, fully functional replacement of old-fashioned Nviz tool is one
of the major issues for GRASS 7 (ie. to drop Tcl/Tk dependency). I
started development of wxNviz (aka wxGUI 3D view mode) [1] within GSoC
2008 and later in 2010 continued in the development [2, 3]. I have
implemented fundamental functionality, designed integrated UI as 3D
view mode in wxGUI. Beside wxNviz I have also implemented CLI tool
nviz_cmd [4] and related Nviz library [5]. In the result wxNviz
implements about 60-70% of the original Nviz functionality. From this
point of view this project seems to be very good candidate, it's
project with a clear roadmap. The goal of 3rd year is to complete the
project - implement fully functional modern 3D visualization GRASS
tool with integrated, intuitive UI with smooth switch between 2D and
3D view mode in wxGUI display window.

Anna is very talented student. I am more then satisfied with her work
on GUI for ps.map (tester welcomed!). She is interested to work for
GRASS. From this POV GSoC is perfect support of such students. Please
feel free to comment her application!

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz_GSoC_2008