[GRASS-dev] XDRIVER

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 13 17:10:48 EDT 2011

roger at spinn.net wrote:

> I'm aware that XDRIVER is antiquated piece of software that the project does
> not intend to use for it's primary display or interactive tool.  I have two
> main questions (and maybe some to follow up):
>
> Does the project intend to retain XDRIVER in the distribution?
>
> Are there any plans to update or upgrade XDRIVER?

No. Monitors (display drivers as separate processes) have been removed
entirely (and permanently) from 7.0.

There doesn't seem to be much point in making significant changes in
6.x, given that it's a dead end. Also, monitors (all monitors, not
just XDRIVER) don't work on Windows.

I'm not sure what problems you were having with R_get_text_box(), but
if we can identify a bug, that should be fixed.