[GRASS-dev] Naming conventions and axiomatics [RFC]

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 10 02:39:51 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM,  <tlaronde at polynum.com> wrote:
> When I say "GRASS" in what follows, this means CERL GRASS (the
> historical origin). It may have changed for you implementation, I have
> not looked (and will not).

Just for the sake of completeness, many things have changed since
CERL GRASS times including vector topology management.

Since you refer to GRASS 4 while we work on GRASS 7 there is
perhaps not too much to discuss unless we consider the current
state in GRASS 7 which is way more powerful and portable than
GRASS 4.

> I hope that some people will find that the inners of GRASS are
> interesting, and that from a theorical point of view, leading to
> implementation questions, this can be a very fruitful area of research.

For sure!

We have also nice documentation about the inners of GRASS:
http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/

Best
Markus