[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS Map Display

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 12 13:58:12 EDT 2011

You can view a PNG in most graphic viewers. Probably it will come up in something if you double click it on almost any desktop platform.

d.rast is for displaying GRASS raster files within the GRASS GIS environment. You would need to import the PNG and convert it to a GRASS raster format to display in GRASS. Unless there is some kind of geocoded version of PNG's (I don't know of any), the PNG would not be georeferenced and hence not useable in any way for the GIS without some kind of transformation. Nothing would overlay it correctly. This is one of the very important differences between GIS and a graphics program.

Michael

C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: 	http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
		http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton