[GRASS-dev] color tables for vector

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:31:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

recently I have added to the vector library support for color tables
as we know from raster engine. I have also rewritten existing
`v.colors` module [1] to C. Original python script which uses temp
raster maps has been moved to add-ons and renamed to `v.colors`. If
you set up color table for vector map using `v.colors`, the data are
rendered by `d.vect` colorized. The module can optionally write color
rules to the attribute table (if option `rgb_column` is given), in
this case you need to call `d.vect` with -a flag (as you are used to).

There is one open issue. How to write color tables for vector maps
which are not located in the current mapset. I was thinking about
'vector/<name>/colr2`, but it would require quite lot changes in
gislib (at least in G__ls()) etc, the second option which came to my
mind is 'vector2/<name>/colr2' as destination file for color table.
What do you think?

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/html70_user/v.colors.html