[GRASS-dev] Create new branch from trunk for temporal GIS integration

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 22 15:36:46 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/8/22 Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>:
>> I would try to avoid having yet another branch, three is maybe already
>> one too much. IMHO, the most important question is whether we want to
>> add the time dimension in GRASS. If this finds sufficient support, I
>> would rather opt to modify trunk directly because compatibility will
>> be maintained when adding the temporal extension and trunk can be used
>> as before. In this case, another branch may cause more trouble than
>> good.
>>
>> +1 for adding time dimension
>
> bearing in mind the number of active GRASS developers I agree with MarkusM.

I also agree to not create a new branch but modify trunk directly.
In our discussions during Soeren's seminar at FEM

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/news/20/15/Seminar-announcement-S-Gebbert-10-Aug-2011---FEM---Adding-the-time-dimension-to-GRASS-GIS-for-field-based-applications-A-unified-snapshot-approach/

recently he confirmed that no relevant API changes are expected, so things
should not break (although they are allowed to in trunk).

Markus