[GRASS-dev] where to store GRASS settings: GISRC and wx settings

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 01:28:50 EDT 2011

Uh. Oh. (Can we all come together to have a fist fight? Winner makes
decisions of all...)
Just some comments.

I don't see 6.5 as a "stable" version. For me fiddling around with
it's code base seems to be OK. Still r47956 breaks rule "Open to bug
fixes and non-structural enhancements which do not break backwards
compatibility with 6.x" set up in our roadmap [1]. Either of them have
to go.

We should think twice before grabbing random features from 7 and
pulling into 6.5 and 6.5 pulling into 6.4. Last one is the most
dangerous (not talking about direct pulls from 7 to 6.4). Leave 6.4
alone - it should be stable and not randomcoolstuff from 7.

As GRASS 7 seems to be released "when it's ready", it might not happen
before the heat death of universe, as we have no exact checklist to
tell if it is ready. We have a nice list of ideas, still I haven't
seen yet a definite list with exact features that should be done
before 7 is considered to be ready. There is a risk with such approach
too - I would like to see raster enhancements, still if nobody is
working on that - we will never have a 7.0 ;) This risk can be
minimized by setting up some arbitrary deadline - if feature is not in
good WIP state, it has to wait till next release. Let's not make
another Hurd.

Maris.

1. http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Release_Roadmap#GRASS_6.5.x_and_beyond