[GRASS-dev] where to store GRASS settings: GISRC and wx settings

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 30 03:06:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hamish:
>> > please revert unix ~/.grassrc6 bits of r47956 for 6.5
>> > immediately.
>
> Martin:
>> disagreed. Martin
>
> if our opinions cancel each other out, the matter is up to the
> consensus of the rest of the group then.

If the discussion is going on like this, the heat death of the
universe is coming faster than we think...

In general I think it is a good idea to have all the settings and
other stuff, e.g. grass-addons, in one single folder, and not
scattered around. But that is a design change already implemented in
grass7.

Since there seems to be a majority to not introduce these changes to
6.x, I will revert the changes I did to 6.5 and also change some
backports from trunk to 6.x regarding the file where wxGUI settings
are stored, i.e. 6.x shall use .grasswx6 as in pre-6.4.2.

The status quo is thus for 6.x
use .grassrc6 and .grasswx6, located in $HOME (%USERPROFILE% for Windows)

and for 7
use .grass7/rc and .grass7/wx, located in $HOME (grass7\rc and
grass7\wx, located in %APPDATA% for Windows)

BTW, the NSIS script for the Windows installer should IMHO not change
the location and file name of GISRCRC, this should be defined at as
few places as possible for easier maintenance (grass.py for trunk).

Markus M