[GRASS-dev] Create new branch from trunk for temporal GIS integration

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:48:16 EDT 2011

Hi,

[snip]
> I had a private branch of trunk for more than a year when developing
> and testing new vector topology. It was not always easy to keep it
> working, although I only had to svn up to get in sync with the
> official trunk. This is not so easy when creating a real branch of
> trunk in svn. But if you feel more comfortable with a separate branch
> for experimenting then do it. I wanted to warn, but of course will
> assist you whatever your decision.

After some experimenting and the development of simple prototypes
(getting very frustrated with the db library ... ) i decided to use
python for all the temporal logic, library and modules. The
modification in GRASS core libraries will be minimized. Only a few C
library functions are planed in the future, implementing the
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE SQL queries for raster, vector and raster3d maps
in the location specific time and metadata database.

The consequence is:
* Using sqlite3 exclusively, no support for other databases as backend
(Unfortunately the implementation of trigger and temporal logic is
database specific ...)
* Implementation of all the temporal logic in python
* Using an OO approach to reflect the theory of generalized fields
[Liu and Goodchild 2008]
* Using sqlite3 python library directly to have full datatype support
and python based sqlite3 user functions
* Using a location wide database rather than a mapset specific one, to
store the temporal and metadata information for all mapsets, primary
key will be "name at mapset"

Because of the minimized footprint of this approach in the GRASS core
libraries, i decided to implement the temporal GIS extension in trunk.
So no new branch is needed.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

Cheers
Soeren