[GRASS-dev] wxGUI on mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Aug 31 19:42:42 EDT 2011

From my tests, the problem is not 64bit wxpython, it's wxpython 2.9 Cocoa.  The GUI crashes on startup for both 64bit and 32bit modes.

The 2.9 Cocoa build is an absolute must for Lion because (as I understand it) all the last deprecated Carbon APIs have been removed.  wxpython 2.8 (Carbon) built for the python 2.6 on Snow *seems* to work on Lion, though there may be some hidden Carbon dependencies that won't cause trouble until they're used.  And for some it crashes when quitting the GUI.

On Aug 31, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Massimo Di Stefano wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm on lion too,
> but before  lion my problem with wx and snow leopard was that i'm using python 64 bit (and wx is not ready yet)
> The last time i tried to update my wx to 2.9.x to be able to have all running as 64bit i had lot of problems
> so i  switched to the old tcltk gui for a stable usage.
>
> i'll provide as soon as possible all the issue i'm having running wxpython (using python.org) in  64 bit mode
> on both snow leopard and lion.
>
> --Massimo.
> .
> Il giorno 31/ago/2011, alle ore 22.01, Helena Mitasova ha scritto:
>
>> More serious issue with Mac is getting GRASS with wxGUI running on Lion,
>> I just got first student with new Mac running Lion and she is using MSWindows on Mac to run GRASS.
>> If anybody has any advice on running GRASS on Lion please let me know,
>>
>> Helena

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war