[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 13:30:30 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/12/17 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> btw, my current feeling about the ~/.grass$MAJOR/addons$MAJOR.$MINOR.$BUGVER
> specific path to protect from binary GIS_H incompatibility is that it
> may be better to create a ~/.grass65/ in addition to ~/.grass64 to keep
> the two separate.

do you mean also to separate config files, eg. wxGUI settings? Then
you would have eg.

.grass64/wx and .grass65/wx.

Unfortunately this layout doesn't allow to have installed extensions
eg. for 6.4.2 and 6.4.3 or 6.4.2 and 6.4.3svn, you would end up with
the same mismatch (expecting than extension will be installed in
`.grass64/addons`). I think that
`~/.grass$MAJOR/addons$MAJOR.$MINOR.$BUGVER` is more flexible
approach. It's blocker for 6.4.2 (since you have asked RC3 for
`g.extension` even it's not *really* ready, I would personally incline
to postpone all the story to 6.4.3). After this request it's
unrealistic to hope that we will release 6.4.2 till the end of the
year. Bear in mind that RC2 didn't allowed to install extension on
Windows at all.

What's opinion of other developers?

Martin