[GRASS-dev] Installing own Python script

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 03:47:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

2011/6/13 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> n.b. r46690 code still refers to .grass7 in grass6
> [please don't backport to 6.4 until code is tested in 6.5 for some
> time, even if it seems harmless. otherwise there is no quality
> control, the laws of unintended consequences bite us, and what's
> the point of maintaining a 6.5 testing branch at all? tx]

we are in the first half of release cycle (counting that 6.4.2 could
be released in November/December) so I think that we don't be so much
pedandic at this stage. 2-3 four months before release we could froze
relbr64, focus on testing, bugfixing. This make sense for me.

> the shell script version in 6.x already installs to the addon dir
> as part of g.extension.sh, with sudo,su options to go to the
> install dir upon request. should we stay with that and/or is a specific install target needed? (why is a python clone needed
> there? to help with menu integration? is there a bug in wingrass
> I don't know about?)

Well, it's not clone at all! It's has some extra functionality
compared bash version of g.extension. Moreover it's actively developed
and maintained. This functionality is required by wxGUI, in other
words wxGUI uses pythonized g.extension. I am interested to develop
python version of g.extension, not the bash script. There is no chance
to replace bash script by pythonized clone in G6 mainly because of
your attitude. It's closed story for me. So I decided to include at
least pythonized g.extension to G6 which is required by wxGUI.

Martin