[GRASS-dev] Re: sample dataset update

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 23 00:44:08 EDT 2011

Below are some plans for data updates. It would be useful to put this on wiki
so that others can comment, add, modify. I was thinking about
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Sample_datasets
but this is really for downloads, so perhaps as a new section here?
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_7_ideas_collection

Feel free to post it on wiki (or suggest where it would fit and I will post it).
After I get some feedback I will prepare the first version of the new mapsets for networks and timeseries
to test whether they are suitable,

thanks, Helena

Prepare new data sets (grass7 vector format?):
- provided as separate MAPSETS that can be inserted into nc_spm_08 or gisdemo_ncspm (or their grass7 versions)
- packaged all into single location (nc_spm_11) which could reach 1GB.
- each MAPSET will have an example of application

proposed new MAPSETS:

Road and street networks (nconemap, ncdot)
http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/DOTData/default.html
LRS road network, Integrated Statewide Road network, Bike Paths
- streets for wake http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/data.htm`
-add boundaries and POI for reference?
-include emergency centers ? hurricane evacuation routes? potential emergency shelters?
-include stream network?

Time_series_coast
coastal lidar point clouds, 1m res DEMs, orthos, 15 years in 10-15 snapshots
extended version of this
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/media/01/NagsHead_series.zip
also used for coastal analysis toolbox add-ons

Landuse_img
new 4 channel 1m res 2009 imagery NAID
new NLCD 2006 from USGS and NLCD2001
0.15m res ortho?
include any post storm, post hurricane, post flood imagery for training purposes?
see example here:
http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/SpecialData/NCStormDamageAndCleanup.html

Time_series_census
this may take more time to prepare,
data are available for 1970,80,90,2000,2010
combine with election districts?

LOCATIONS:
- cleanup and provide nc_ll, nc_utm, nc_spf for testing projections

EXTERNAL data sets for testing external data formats
- point cloud asci, las
- shape
- geodatabase?
- MRsid, geotiff?

Anything else from here?
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/GIS_anal_lecture/GIS_Anal_webdata.html
http://www.nconemap.com/Default.aspx?tabid=286
http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/data.htm
(we provide link to this so only data to be used for GRASS tutorials and testing should be in the data set)