[GRASS-dev] GUI for ps.map - g.extension

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:36:12 EDT 2011

Hi all,

one month ago has been started development of ps.map's GUI by Anna
Kratochvilova [1, 2]. Anna is a student at the CTU in Prague, she is
working on this GUI within her bachelor's final project mentored by
me. Bearing in mind that she was not working with wxPython library in
the past, she did really incredible job during the last month. In the
result we decided to move her code from the private Git repository to
GRASS add-ons [3] to enable GRASS users to test this GUI, report bugs,
wishes, etc.

This wxGUI extension is possible to install in GRASS 7 via g.extension
(requires system administrator rights)

g.extension svnurl=https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons extension=psmap -s

The question is how to allow installing wxGUI extensions in GRASS 6.
Recently I was suggesting to replace Bash version of g.extension in
GRASS 6 by Pythonized g.extension from GRASS 7 to simplify development
of this fundamental module. Unfortunately there was no interest [4].
Currently there are two options: update Bash script to allow
installing wxGUI extension (any volunteer?) or ship Pythonized
g.extension with wxGUI (to put g.extension.py to
`gui/wxpython/scripts`). What's your preferences?

Martin

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/GUIForPs.map
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GUI_for_ps.map
[3] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/gui/wxpython/psmap