[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS and non-latin letters

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Mar 19 22:31:38 EDT 2011

Maris Nartiss wrote:

> You are overlooking issues coming from current GRASS architecture. We
> have CLI+GUI mixture and thus have to deal with both codepages at same
> time.

We have to deal with Unicode and the current ANSI codepage. There's no
fundamental reason why we should need to deal with the OEM codepage.

> I wrote a small test example for wish GUI.

Okay; I think that the immediate problem here is due to the
"FOR ... usebackq" trick. AFAICT, it treats the output from the
command within the backquotes as being in the OEM codepage, when it's
actually in the ANSI codepage.

Also:
	echo "%HOME%" > out.txt

will use the OEM codepage when writing the file, but anything which
reads it is going to assume the ANSI codepage.

Other than that, it would just mean that the console displays
non-ASCII characters incorrectly, which doesn't affect programs which
aren't actually using the console.

I suspect that the simplest fix is to replace init.bat with e.g. a
Python version.