[GRASS-dev] text interface for GRASS70

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Mar 22 02:18:43 EDT 2011

Pierre Roudier wrote:

> I tried to copy + chown the demolocation to a single user, but grass
> won't start:
> root at grass:/usr/local/src# cp -R ../grass-7.0.svn/demolocation/
> /home/pierrer/grassdata/
> root at grass:/usr/local/src# chown -R pierrer:pierrer
> /home/pierrer/grassdata/demolocation/
> pierrer at grass:~$ grass70 /home/pierrer/grassdata/demolocation/PERMANENT/
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/grass70", line 943, in <module>
>     grass_intro()
>   File "/usr/local/bin/grass70", line 370, in grass_intro
>     f = open(path, 'r')
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/home/pierrer/grassdata/etc/grass_intro'

This indicates that "gisbase" is set to /home/pierrer/grassdata, which
is probably incorrect. The grass70 script uses the GISBASE environment
variable if it is set (in general, it shouldn't be), otherwise it uses
a value which is hard-coded into the grass70 script itself (line 37;
the actual value is set during "make install").

The value should be the top-level directory of the GRASS installation.