[GRASS-dev] text interface for GRASS70

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 18:31:36 EDT 2011

Martin wrote:
> > please try out r45726

thanks,

> > $ grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/test1
> > g.proj -p
> > XY location (unprojected)

create XY by default? I'm not so sure about that. I'd think it
much better to exit with an error if location type could not be
determined.

> > $ grass70 -c ~/lakes.shp /home/martin/grassdata/test1
>
> in r45727 you can also create new location based on EPSG
>
> $ grass70 -c EPSG:4326 /home/martin/grassdata/test1

re. -c, in GRASS 6 we have been using the -c command line flag
to create a new mapset if it doesn't exist. Using the same
flag contextually to create a new location too would be confusing
and bug prone. We should split mapset/location creation into
two separate flags.

fwiw, I would be rather happy to see g.setproj reenabled in trunk
for these situations. Also, to (re)provide hierarchical state
plane selection which is not available elsewhere.

AFAICT the module and G_ask_datum_name(), G_ask_proj_name(),
G_get_ellipsoid_parameters(), etc. do not use the Vask library
or curses, just a bunch of G_system()s which would need checking.
Only the welcome screen front-end and region bounds were using
the curses stuff AFAIR, but that's east enough to replace.

?

cheers,
Hamish

ps- re. r45719 "winGRASS: include some gdal plugins", can you
confirm that these plugins are license compatible? (may have been
left out on purpose)