[GRASS-dev] text interface for GRASS70

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:44:19 EDT 2011

Hi,

2011/3/23 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:

>> create XY by default? I'm not so sure about that. I'd think it
>> much better to exit with an error if location type could not be
>> determined.
>
> The most important thing is to create /something/ so that you can
> actually get into GRASS. Once you've done that, you can change the
> projection or create a new location with g.proj. But first you have to
> get to the point that g.proj works.

Agreed.

>> > in r45727 you can also create new location based on EPSG
>> >
>> > $ grass70 -c EPSG:4326 /home/martin/grassdata/test1
>>
>> re. -c, in GRASS 6 we have been using the -c command line flag
>> to create a new mapset if it doesn't exist. Using the same
>> flag contextually to create a new location too would be confusing
>> and bug prone. We should split mapset/location creation into
>> two separate flags.
>
> The argument is a complete path, so the logical approach would be to
> check how much of that path already exists, i.e.:

should be working like this

>        if the complete path exists:
>            mapset already exists; no need to create anything

$ grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/nc_spm_08/user1/
works

>        else if the path minus the last element exists:
>            location exists; create new mapset

$ grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/nc_spm_08/user2
works

>        else if the path minus the last two elements exists:
>            database exists; create new location and mapset

current behaviour

grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/test01/user

creates location 'user' in dbase '/home/martin/grassdata/test01'

I am not sure at this point, to change this behaviour you would need
to define always the mapset, e.g.

grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/test01/PERMANENT

which is annoying.

>        else
>            none of it exists; create new database, location and mapset

$ grass70 -c /home/martin/grassdata/nc_spm_08/user1/
works.

[...]

Martin