[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r45737 - grass/trunk/gui/images

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 17:15:11 EDT 2011

Martin wrote:
> any reason??

of course :)

> it has been replaced by grass_splash.png.

I realize grass_splash.png and the .xcf source is there too, but
this one even is more, how shall I say... original source.

it is kept as a source image, same reason as why I added it in
the first place, even though unused (except as a source img) --
 * has been PNG optimized for file size (faster load times)
 * name reflects the obscure map source
 * svn history contains links to history of the map
 * don't care for those reasons? no matter, it doesn't hurt
   anything to leave it alone, and I'd ask to keep it if only
   for historical interest.

If the trouble is the extra 180kb in the installer, we can modify
the Makefile to selectively install only the images that are
needed (AFAICT as it was until 2 weeks ago). Also, after work
I'll hunt down and post the better-than-pngcrush method for
reducing the size of PNGs, losslessly. (the inefficiency of the
other images there, individually!, are bigger than the
silesia.png file itself)

fwiw the whitespace padding around the top,left,right sides of
grass_splash.png is just right, but cosmetically I find the new
splash text and border overlay a tad bit 'stern'*. Some time ago
I had played with the wx window border to try and get a single
pixel border around it automatically, but that looked bad cross-
platform (not always single pixel; broken in wx4win), so when
anti-aliasing the text overlay in the last round of cleaning up
the splash screen I left that without any border. [*]Text was
burnt directly to the image as fonts look different on different
systems, and sometimes look rather bad. That is why it may look
'heavy' to me now, but perhaps not to others. Burning onto the
image locks the text into English though, which isn't nice.
shrug

best,
Hamish