[GRASS-dev] GRASS SoC ideas wiki

Chemin, Yann (IWMI) Y.Chemin at cgiar.org
Mon Mar 28 00:01:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am willing to help with Raster OpenMP programming for SoC

- "Design GRASS toolboxes environment, see GRASS repository layout
proposal
   for detailed information. This would also include general clean up
and
   organization of existing GRASS modules in trunk and add-ons."
   -> We can't dump a student into such a contentious area without
coming
   to some consensus on the design ourselves first. Personally I
consider
   the breaking up of GRASS's 400 modules into a series of optional
   toolboxes to be a massive mistake. GEM already exists, but no one
wants
   to use it, g.extention is at its core fundamentally a hack (I say as
   coauthor), etc.--there's still a lot of maturing of ideas to do. The
   wiki addons page is getting rather long, but we aren't on the scale
of
   needing something like CRAN yet..

+> Maybe we can learn from the R experience in handling plugins...
+>Also a core GRASS GIS < 10Mb can be distributed and then download of
your "groups" of functionalities aka what Erdas/Imagine does or Matlab
or LibreOffice.

 - "Design sophisticated Python scripting interface for GRASS". -> I
don't
   get it. What is it? What would it do which python + grass.py doesn't
   already?

+> R "raster" package and its now extensive group can maybe give us
ideas of the potential there.