[GRASS-dev] Error with r.to.vect- Solved?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 29 05:37:12 EDT 2011

2011/3/29 António Rocha <antonio.rocha at deimos.com.pt>:
> Hello Markus
> Unfortunely, I get this error when I run other datasets. In this case, a
> landCover with all CELLS and spatial resolution of 30. The problem is that
> North carolina sample is too small.
> r.to.vect -v input=FULL at PERMANENT output=FULL feature=area
> I get this:
> Default driver / database set to:
> driver: dbf
> database: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/
> Extracting areas...
> Building topology for vector map <PT_National_2000_FULL>...
> R4243000ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 16976004 bytes at
> struct_alloc.c:133

You mean that it is too big :)
The file in question is lib/vector/diglib/struct_alloc.c

Please try GRASS 7 instead of GRASS 6 which offers large file support
for vector data (to some extent).

You need to configure it with this options
  --enable-largefile      enable support for large files (LFS)

and compile it. Or use the weekly Linux binary snapshot which
has LFS enabled.

Markus