[GRASS-dev] GSOC: ideas

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 05:34:29 EDT 2011

Hello Moritz.
As I'm the author of this WMS idea I would like to comment on it.
It's not about rewrite of r.in.wms but about providing background
images in GUI for visual analysis and digitizing. Such implementation
should be as user-friendly as possible and thus it's a good question
if it should use GDAL or be homebrew. Also wasn't a WMS/WMS-T and
tiled source support in GDAL depending on compiled-in Xerces-C? Being
able to import data for analysis would be a nice bonus, still WMS was
designed for visual use and not for analysis data transfer like WCS
does.

Maris.