[GRASS-dev] SoC proposal

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:11:38 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am willing to participate as student to GSoC with a GRASS GIS related
project.
I'm a third year PhD student and my main research interests lie in
hydrological modeling coupled with GIS.
My idea is the following: recently, in GRASS GIS new modules suitable for
hydrological analysis have been developed, r.stream*. I tested it and found
very complete and useful, I currently use it for hydrological analysis and
develop python scripts using it.
My idea for GSoC is to develop a sophisticated Graphical User Interface in
wxpython for r.stream*.
GIMP users may know the Filter Pack, that allow to see the preview of the
effects over an image. I imagine the r.stream* GUI something like that, in
which it's possible to see rapidly on a small portion of the area of
interest the result of the hydrological analysis, and then decide if apply
the analysis or not.

It will include "multiple previews". Every result can be saved as an image
and set of parameters for future use in additional "preview windows", next
choose from group of possible parameters that which is most suitable.
Also, changing the extend of sample area will be available "on the fly".

Parameters that shall to be shown are:
* network (vector) + optionally (order + elementary basins +
distance/elevation)

Parameters to change:
* threshold
* Montgomery exponent
* SFD treshold

Optionally:
* Flow accumulation map
* Map of depressions

The advantage of such a graphical interface is to allow the user to have a
simple approach to a sophisticated thing like hydrology. Many hydrologists
use other GIS suites because they simply don't know or don't know how to use
r.stream*. I believe that such a GUI could improve the user approach to
hydrological analysis in GRASS.

My tentative of timeline is the following:

2 weeks: design interface based on other similar software
3 weeks - midterm goal: get a preview widget working in grass7
3 weeks: add functionality and documentation
1 week: testing
final goal: working GUI for grass7

Any hint welcome
Thanks,