[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] AddOn or Script when compiling GRASS from source

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 19:47:56 EDT 2011

Glynn wrote:
> Because it's one more unnecessary environment variable.
> Some systems have a limit (4k is common) on the
> combined memory used by the environment and the command
> line, so enlarging the environment reduces the maximum
> length of a command.

fair enough. but,

> A single environment variable is sufficient to find all
> components of an add-on. The original idea seems to
> have been based upon the assumption that an add-on
> would consist of a single script, with no additional
> files.

right.

> That assumption should be false for anything from
> the add-ons repository

as per longer explanation in a prior email, I'd argue
that the case of the single personal script with no
support files is still at least co-equal if not the
dominant instance for addon scripts.

we hear about g.extension disproportionally because it's
a tricky cross platform dance to get it working smoothly
and folks probably don't bother us much with errors in
their personal workflows.

greets from SFO,
Hamish