[GRASS-dev] tickets to solve for GRASS 6.4.2 release

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 1 11:29:17 EDT 2011

Hamish wrote:
>> >#1110     v.rast.stats locks up on wingrass
>> >  --> I would suggest to replace v.rast.stats with
>> > v.rast.stats2 from addons with has enjoyed more
>> > maintenance and testing in the last months.
>
> devil's advocate: not more than the script itself :)

No, as much as the script itself, plus recent bug fixes and enhancements.

> how do the two compare performance wise? are the options/flags
> 100% backwards compatible? give identical results?

We (you and me and others) had this exact discussion previously.
Excerpts from the previous discussion:

v.rast.stats does not scale at all, for e.g. 10000 areas it is
completely useless whereas v.rast.stats2 is 10000x faster, e.g. 20 sec
vs 55 hours. That's the reason for the existence of v.rast.stats2
making use of zonal statistics in r.univar, it's meant to be a
replacement, not something new. More details in the ML archives.

>> > Or port some fixes from v.rast.stats2 to v.rast.stats,
>> > particularly r43910.
>
> no opinion pending review.

Pending for 11 months by now.

Markus M