[GRASS-dev] v.generalize: flag -r removed?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 12:38:08 EDT 2011

Paolo wrote:
> > Apparently the flag -r has been recently removed. May I know
> > the reason in a few lines? I have to adjust the QGIS the
> > plugin, and I prefer to understand before doing.

Markus M:
> Until recently, v.generalize did not work with boundaries,
> more generally, did not fully adhere to the grass vector
> topology model.
> The -r flag was one of the components causing damage, further
> on it duplicated functionality covered be v.clean and made the
> interface even more complex. Therefore it was removed while
> overhauling the module.

since this flag/feature was released in an official stable
release it should not have been removed for future versions of
the stable branch. If the feature was in fact too broken to be
allowed to live, it should be replaced with a no-op -r flag with
a description of

    flag->description =
        _("This does nothing. It is retained for backwards compatibility");
    flag->guisection = _("Unused");

any user script, addon module, documentation written since 6.0.0
should continue to work with any version of grass 6 >= than the
one it was written for, with at most needing a no-modification
recompile. for years we have shown good discipline in this regard;
doing so respects the users' confidence to invest their energy
(once) and get on with their work, and makes grass a more
dependable platform to base their infrastructure/work flow on.

this is a blocker for 6.4.2.

thanks,
Hamish