[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.2RC1 planning

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 29 02:20:36 EDT 2011

Hamish wrote:

> > Make itself doesn't have any quoting mechanism, so you can't
> > have spaces in any path which is used as part of a target or
> > prerequisite, or an "include" directive, or which is processed
> > by make functions (patsubst, wildcard, etc).
>
> as there will be spaces in both the C:\Program Files\ for the
> grass include headers and C:\Documents and Settings\ for the
> build ($MAPSET/.tmp/) + install target, I guess for wingrass
> in cases where the default path names have been used the best we
> can do is to ensure that when it fails, it fails gracefully.

The default is to put everything under C:\OSGeo4W. If you want to use
e.g. C:\Program Files, you need to ensure that only 8.3 pathnames are
used.

Also, AFAICT the installer doesn't attempt to fix ${prefix} to match
the actual installation directory, so if the user chooses a different
location, Platform.make will be wrong.