[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist)?

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 23 02:18:41 PDT 2012

#1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++  Redistributable Package
(vcredist)?
 Reporter:  dhastings     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64        |

Comment(by hamish):

 Replying to [comment:29 neteler]:
 > The easiest and quickest solution might be:
 >  * if DLLs are missing, wget/curl them from this address and install
 >  * if wget/curl fails, tell the user to go there and fetch them
 >
 > Why cannot we go this way for now?

 but how to test if the dlls are missing? supply a little test program and
 try to run it during install? robustly checking all of the registry
 entries?

 if we can detect the dlls are missing, the only other consideration AFAIK
 is that it can't happen automatically -- i.e. it can't be presented to the
 end-user as a single product. Perhaps it just needs a page in the
 installer which says something like "this software needs ms's dlls to run
 and you don't seem to have them installed. if you would like to install
 them now, click here (fetches installer from an external site [url])".
 So they must take some positive action to install it as an OS upgrade.

 Hamish

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428#comment:30>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>